Our word glossary is in alphabetical order to help you find a word and its medical definition.
- Amniocentesis - Surgical transabominal perforation of the uterus to obtain amniotic fluid for analysis.
- Aneurysm - A sac formed by the dilatation of a wall of an artery, a vein or the heart.
- Angioplasty - Surgery of blood vessels.
- Appendicitis - Inflammation of the appendix.
- Bronchitis - Inflammation of one or more bronchi (large air passages of the lung, or windpipe).
- Colonoscopy - Examination of the colon through an endoscope.
- Crohn’s disease - Inflammation of the distal portion of the small intestine.
- Diverticulitis - Inflammation of the lining of the colon.
- Emphysema - An accumulation of air in tissues or organs, especially the lungs.
- Pericardial effusion - The presence of fluid around the heart.
- Pleurisy - Inflammation of the membrane sounding the lungs and lining the thoracic cavity.
- Pneumonia - Inflammation of the lungs with the lungs becoming solid as air spaces are filled with fluid.
- Pulmonary embolism - A clot brought by the blood from another vessel to the lungs, obstructing circulation.
- Stenosis - Narrowing of a duct or canal, such as the blood vessels.
- Venography - A special technique for imaging blood vessels.